We have many ways come to Vietnam, but arrival by air is highly recommended cause the procedures at the airport usually takes a few minutes. Crossing overland from Cambodia and China is now relatively stress-free. Crossing the border between Vietnam and Laos can be slowed.
Your passport must be valid at least six months upon arrival in Vietnam.
Many nationalities need to arrange a visa in advance.
Almost all nationalities need a visa in advance for all visits to Vietnam, except some nationalities belong to Vietnam visa exemption list. There're 03 ways to apply for a visa:
1. Apply for visa on arrival (VOA)
Vietnam visa on arrival is an alternative way to obtain a visa for Vietnam in addition to the traditional way of getting a visa at Vietnam Embassies.
Visa on Arrival (VOA) is the preferred method for most travelers arriving by air since it's cheaper, faster and you don't have to part with your passport by posting it to an embassy. Online visa agencies email the VOA to you directly.
It can only be used if you are flying into any of Vietnam's five international airports, not at land crossings. The process is straightforward: the visa applicant is required to submit an online application form for a visa approval letter which functions as an official permission allowing you to board the flight and get visa stamped onto your passport at the arrival airport in Vietnam. To get visa stamped, you need to submit your Vietnam visa approval letter with your passport (passport validity must be at least 6 months upon arrival in Vietnam), two passport-sized photos, and stamping fee to Immigration Officers at the airport.
- Visa Administrative Institution: Vietnam Immigration Department
- Processing time: 48 working hours for normal service, 4 working hours for urgent service, 30 working minutes for super urgent service
- Required documents: No documents needed
- How to apply: fill an online application form, wait for a confirmation Letter in a few minutes details when you will get the Vietnam Visa Approval Letter. Print out your approval letter and take it on your trip. Besides, prepare also your passport + 2 photos + stamping fees get the visa stamp at Vietnamese airport.
VOA Vietnam types:
Regarding traveling purposes, Vietnam visa is classified into 2 types:
- Tourist visa: valid for up to 3 months (except tourist visa for USA citizens valid for up to 1 year
- Business visa: valid for up to 1 year
Regarding the length of stay and number of entries, Vietnam visa is classified into 6 types:
- 1-month single entry visa
- 1-month multiple entries
- 3-month single entry visa
- 3-month multiple entries visa
- 6-month multiple entries visa
- 1-year multiple entries visa
To apply for Vietnam visa on arrival, you can click here
2. Apply for a visa at Embassies/Consulate
You can also obtain visas through Vietnam Embassies and Consulates around the world but fees are normally much higher than using a visa agent, and (depending, on the country) the process can be slow. In Asia, Vietnamese visas tend to be issued in two to three working days in Cambodia, or in Europe and North America, it takes around a week.
See detail addresses of Vietnam Embassies/Consulates worldwide at here.
3. Apply E-visa online at Immigration Department
Vietnamese visa is a kind of travel documents granted by Vietnamese Competent Authorities, providing permission to travel to and enter Vietnam.
An electronic visa (E-visa) is one of the visa types issued to foreigners by Vietnamese Immigration Department via the electronic system. Vietnam E-visa is valid for a maximum of 30 days, single entry.
List of countries that allowed E-visa issuing.
List of Ports that allowed foreigners enter and exit Vietnam by E-visa
Conditions for being granted e-visa:
- Outside Vietnam foreigners,
- Holding valid passport,
- Not falling into the cases of suspension from entry prescribed in Article 21 of Law on foreigners’ entry into, exit from, transit through, residence in Vietnam.
Have a nice day!
Your Vietnam Immigration Advisor