How does the English center obtain work permit for the foreign teachers in Vietnam?

By Hong | April 09, 2018

Vietnam recently is an attractive destination for foreign investors and labor due to the impressive development. This is such a good opportunity for Vietnamese enterprises to get cooperation in business with foreign partners. Especially, more and more the English centers hire many foreigners for teaching language.

According to Labor Code 2012, the English center wishing to recruit the foreign teacher has to explain their labor demand to the People’s Committee of provinces and obtain written approval from this agency. Pursuant to this written approval, the employer shall submit the application for the work permit to the Department of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs of the province where the foreigners are working.

>> How to get work permit in Vietnam the foreigners not in exemption list?

>> Why should a foreigner apply for work permit in Vietnam?

>> Who is exempt for work permit in Vietnam?

What necessary paperwork has the English Center to provide?

  1. A valid labor contract;
  2. The company license (copy certified by Government authority office);
  3. Work permit application form;
  4. The approval from the Government to use foreign labor;
  5. Any paperwork that is not in Vietnamese need to be translated by a Vietnamese translation office and get stamped to certify the validity of the document;
  6. Any paperwork that is in Vietnamese or not in Vietnamese, if they require a copied version you will have to get the copy certified by a Vietnamese Government agency.
  7. The employee's working visa. Tourist visas work as before and there is no problem to apply or extend 1- month tourist visas.

After sending all of these papers to the Labor and Social Welfare Service of the province/city where the English center registered, the work permit application will be informed that it's approved or needed any updates or declined within 15 days.

Besides, a good center will help their employees with visas before and will be able to answer questions and provide necessary forms and might even do it on the employee's behalf.

Furthermore,  the English center has to submit an application on behalf of the teacher that includes the following original documents:

  • University degree (BA or higher) Teaching certification (TEFL, TESOL, CELTA or other).
  • *Police clearance certificate (*teachers need to have a police clearance certificate from their home country if they’ve been in Vietnam for 6 months or less; teachers who have been here for 6 months or longer only need a Vietnamese police clearance certificate).

Best regards

Your Vietnam Immigration Advisor